Wiltshire Council's jobs cut consultation begins

Related Stories

A consultation has begun over plans to shed 340 full-time posts at Wiltshire Council this year.

The authority has announced plans for a "council-wide voluntary redundancy programme" but said applications would depend on the council's needs.

Trade union Unison said frontline staff will be "squeezed" as their workloads will increase.

The Conservative-run council said it needs to save at least £4m in staffing costs in its 2013-14 budget.

Unison's regional secretary Joanne Kaye, said: "The problem is you get people, like your frontline social worker for example, who are essentially doing their own administration - whereas previously someone lower paid might be doing typing or printing administration for them.

"Now they're doing that themselves rather than deal with people and trying to make sure they've got accurate records - it all falls on the frontline person to do that."

The voluntary redundancy plan was approved in the February cabinet meeting.

There are currently 3,889 staff at Wiltshire Council and up to 400 staff could be affected.

Over the past three years, the council has made 640 redundancies, saving £23m from staffing costs.

The informal stage of the voluntary redundancy programme will run until June 17.

After this, the formal programme will run for six weeks, with a final deadline for applications set for July 26, with some exceptions to certain teams.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Wiltshire

Weather

Swindon

25 °C 15 °C

Features

  • ScissorsWithout Scotland?

    How might things change for the rest of the UK?


  • Diagrams showing bowler and batsmanAnyone for Vigoro?

    The bizarre Edwardian attempt to merge tennis and cricket


  • Payton McKinnonKilling heat

    Why so many American children die in hot cars


  • Dr Mahinder Watsa Dr Sex

    The wisecracking 90-year-old whose agony column is a cult hit


  • Prince George and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge outside St Mary'sIn pictures

    Prince George has had an eventful first year


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.