Tony Nicklinson's family appeals for funds to continue right-to-die fight

Tony Nicklinson
Image caption Mr Nicklinson died seven years after suffering a stroke

The family of a man who lost a legal battle for the right-to-die is appealing for public support help with funds to continue his campaign.

Tony Nicklinson, 58, died at his home in Melksham, Wiltshire, in August - a week after he failed in his bid to end his life with a doctor's help.

He was paralysed by a stroke in 2005 and suffered from locked-in syndrome.

His widow Jane vowed to continue his fight and is hoping to raise funds for a High Court appeal.

The family's case is expected to be heard this summer and, if granted permission, would allow them to challenge the High Court decision for Mrs Nicklinson to take up her late husband's case.

Mrs Nicklinson has admitted it is likely to be a long campaign, fraught with legal technicalities, but said the family was determined to continue.

She said: "We are asking for help to cover court fees, copying charges for the volumes of legal authorities which need to be prepared, travel costs and other sundry expenses related to the case.

"This money is not for lawyers' fees, but the other expenses to do with running a legal case."

The first stage of the appeal is to raise £5,000, although the family expects these costs to rise.

She said: "I have boxes full of letters and emails from members of the public, people who didn't know Tony, people who did - people from across society.

"That support has meant an incredible amount to me and the family, and we can't thank them enough for that.

"This is just one step on the ladder, but it is a step in the right direction."

'Terrible predicament'

Father-of-two Mr Nicklinson, who was paralysed from the neck down, had been refusing food and contracted pneumonia after he was left "crestfallen" by the court's decision.

His family had vowed to continue his campaign after he died on 22 August but the High Court refused to allow the case to proceed further.

The judges said they were "deeply conscious of Mrs Nicklinson's suffering" but did "not consider that the proposed appeal has any real prospect of success".

Turning down Mr Nicklinson's bid in August, the court referred to his "terrible predicament" and described his case as "deeply moving and tragic".

But Lord Justice Toulson, Mr Justice Royce and Mrs Justice Macur unanimously agreed it would be wrong to depart from the long-established legal position that "voluntary euthanasia is murder, however understandable the motives may be".

More on this story