Suspected Newcastle drug death leads to arrest
- 30 July 2014
- From the section Tyne & Wear
A man has been arrested after a partygoer died in Newcastle following a suspected fatal reaction to a drug.
The 18-year-old man died in hospital on Tuesday after police were called amid concerns for his welfare.
Another 18-year-old has since been arrested on suspicion of possessing a controlled drug with intent to supply, police said.
Officers believe the man who died may have taken a drug at a party in the city on Monday.
He was found disorientated in the street by police, who were called to Pinewood Close at 13:40 BST on Tuesday.
He was taken to hospital by ambulance but later died.
Police have urged anyone who was at the party at Stuart Court to get in touch and said a number of people had already helped them with their enquiries.
Ch Insp Peter Bent, of the Northumbria force, said: "The initial police investigation indicates that he may have taken some kind of drug and that he has had a fatal reaction to the substance.
"That's why we need anyone who was at this party in Stuart Court to contact us and if they have taken any drugs there to go to hospital immediately and get checked out."