Student bailed in Newcastle University terror inquiry
- 13 June 2014
- From the section Tyne & Wear
One of two Russian students arrested after a terror alert at Newcastle University has been released on bail.
Parts of the university were twice evacuated and a controlled explosion was carried out earlier this week after searches uncovered explosive items.
Two 18-year-old students were later arrested in London and on Tyneside.
The North East Counter Terrorism Unit said the student arrested on Tyneside had been released on bail. The other remains in custody in London.
No-one has yet been charged.
The student arrested on Tyneside had been held on suspicion of conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm and offences under the Explosives Act.
The other is being held on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act
A spokesman for the unit said officers were continuing to work alongside colleagues from Northumbria Police.
The alert was triggered by university staff on Tuesday after they were concerned about a student who they believed was carrying a knife.