Alarm warning after Gateshead flat fire death

Firefighters have stressed the need for working smoke alarms after a man died in a fire in his flat.

The 48-year-old was found in the living room of the first floor flat in Dunston, Gateshead, late on Saturday night.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service said he may have been alerted if batteries had not been taken out of his smoke alarm.

It is working with Northumbria Police to discover the cause of the fire.

Fire service area manager Kevin Hepple said: "Our thoughts and sympathies go out to the gentleman's family and friends at this very sad time.

"I cannot emphasise enough to everyone the importance of having working smoke alarms. Every household should have one on every level and the batteries should be checked weekly.

"This gentleman may have been alerted to the fire if the batteries had not been taken out of his smoke alarm."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

Weather

Newcastle upon Tyne

7 °C 5 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.