Severed penis man in Middlesbrough 'out of coma'
- 14 March 2014
- From the section Tees
A man who had his penis severed in an attack has regained consciousness, police have confirmed.
The 40-year-old, from the South Bank area of Teesside, was discovered on the A66 in the early hours of Thursday "in a distressed state" with groin wounds.
The road, from Greystones Roundabout to Church Lane in Middlesbrough, was shut while a search was carried out.
A man arrested on suspicion of assault has been bailed. Police said the victim had been in a coma but was now awake.
A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said: "The man, who was found early yesterday morning on the A66 near South Bank with serious injuries to his groin area, remains in hospital and is now conscious.
"Officers have visited him this morning but were unable to carry out a detailed interview.
"They hope to speak to him later today or tomorrow in a bid to establish exactly how he came by his injuries."
She added: "There is nothing to suggest there is a risk to the wider public."