Family flees house fire in Newton Aycliffe

A baby and a toddler were taken to hospital after escaping from a house fire in County Durham with their mother.

A fire started in the kitchen of a home in Walker Lane, Newton Aycliffe, at about 02:00 GMT, the fire service said.

The children were taken to Darlington Memorial Hospital as a precaution.

Steve Wharton, from Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service, said the family had been "exceptionally lucky".

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Tees

Weather

Middlesbrough

16 °C 9 °C

Features

  • chocolate cake and strawberriesTrick your tongue

    Would this dessert taste different on a black plate?


  • Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George leaving New Zealand'Great ambassadors'

    How New Zealand reacted to William, Kate - and George


  • Major Power Failure ident on BBC2Going live

    Why BBC Two's launch was not all right on the night


  • Front display of radio Strange echoes

    The mysterious 'numbers stations' left over from the Cold War era


  • A letter from a Somali refugee to a Syrian child'Be a star'

    Children's uplifting letters of hope to homeless Syrians


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.