Daisy the dog swallows two-inch needle

Daisy with PDSA vet nurse Jo Buller Daisy swallowed the needle and thread after finding it on the carpet

A dog has been saved by vets after swallowing a two-inch (5cm) needle.

Daisy the Shih Tzu was taken to Middlesbrough PDSA PetAid hospital after her owner Kerry Woodier noticed she was yelping and being sick.

An X-ray revealed the needle with the thread still attached was lodged in Daisy's throat.

Head nurse Stephanie Williams said it could have been "deadly" for Daisy if the needle had become dislodged as it could have "pierced her intestines".

Ms Woodier of Beechwood said she and her five-year-old daughter Abigail were "extremely grateful" to the vets.

'Kept whining'

Daisy, who is nearly two years old, was staying at Ms Woodier's mother's house when it is believed she ate the long needle and thread after finding it on the carpet.

An x-ray showing the needle lodged at the back of Daisy's tongue An X-ray showing the needle lodged at the back of Daisy's tongue

"When I took Daisy round she must have swallowed it. She just kept whining and whenever you touched her throat or whenever she ate something she would yelp.

"I thought she had swallowed a sharp chew or something similar but I had a look and couldn't see anything," Ms Woodier said.

The needle was carefully removed while Daisy was under anaesthetic and she was later allowed home with painkillers and antibiotics.

Ms Williams warned pet owners to avoid leaving any sharp or shiny objects on the floor as they can be easily swallowed.

Daisy has made a full recovery.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Tees

Weather

Middlesbrough

16 °C 12 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.