Sussex

Action taken to evict Hangleton travellers

  • 1 September 2014
  • From the section Sussex
Caravans
Council officers and police went to the site on Monday

Travellers living on an unauthorised site on protected green space in Hove are being evicted, Brighton Council has said.

About 30 caravans moved on to St Helen's Green in Hangleton on Friday.

Residents said they were frightened to go out and Brighton Council said a number of anti-social behaviour incidents had been reported to police.

The travellers said they did not want to comment but did expect to have left the site by Monday.

Geoff Raw, the council's executive director for environment, said officers and police went to the site on Monday to undertake health and welfare checks and determine whether to evict the families.

He said eviction proceedings had begun and it was hoped the site would be clear by the end of the day.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites