Jay Abatan death: Brother 'can't trust Sussex Police'
- 13 August 2014
- From the section Sussex
The brother of a man killed outside a Brighton nightclub 15 years ago has said he can no longer trust the police force investigating the case.
Michael Abatan believes the Sussex Police investigation was flawed and "significant facts" have been withheld from him and his family.
Jay Abatan, 42, from Eastbourne, died days after the assault in January 1999. No-one has been brought to justice.
Sussex Police has denied that any information has been concealed.
Jay Abatan, who worked as an accountant, was punched twice in the face while he waited for a taxi with his brother outside the Ocean Rooms nightclub.
The father of two suffered a fractured skull when he fell and hit his head on the pavement.
Michael Abatan is due to meet Katy Bourne, the Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner, on Thursday to discuss the investigation.
He said there had been "a wall of silence around the case" and that he would not rest until he was told "why his brother was denied justice".
Two men were arrested within 24 hours of the attack, but manslaughter charges were later dropped because of a lack of evidence.
They were instead charged with affray and causing actual bodily harm, and later acquitted.
Brighton and Hove Coroner Veronica Hamilton-Deeley recorded a verdict of unlawful killing in 2010.
Det Supt Nick May, of Sussex Police, said the force had "apologised publicly and often for the failings in 1999" and had "completely updated and reorganised the way it investigates" since then.
He said officers were "committed to investigating any new information" if anything came to light but "there were no grounds to reopen an investigation in the absence of further evidence".