Man's 'teeth were dissolving' in hydrochloric acid
- 6 August 2014
- From the section Sussex
A car wash worker's teeth appeared to be dissolving as he writhed around in agony after drinking hydrochloric acid, an inquest heard.
Zorancho Dimov, 47, died after drinking the undiluted acid at the Lewes Road Car Wash, Brighton, on 3 May.
Ambulance technician Graham Silander described Mr Dimov's injury as "horrific" after he was called to help.
Hove coroner Veronica Hamilton-Deeley recorded an open verdict.
Mr Dimov is believed to have drunk acid after becoming depressed about debt and losing his family home in Macedonia, the inquest was told.
He was taken to hospital in Brighton, but died six days later due to the severity of his injuries.
Dr Mark Taylor, who carried out a post-mortem examination, said: "The extent of his injuries were catastrophic."
Mrs Hamilton-Deeley said that although she believed Mr Dimov had deliberately drunk the acid, she could not be sure that he had intended to take his own life.