Sussex

Ken and Dorothy Swallow deaths: Carbon monoxide killed couple

  • 29 April 2014
  • From the section Sussex
Dorothy and Kenneth Swallow
Kenneth Swallow was manager of Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath FCs

A couple who died at Christmas after using a generator during a power cut were killed by carbon monoxide fumes, a coroner has been told.

Kenneth Swallow, 70, and his wife Dorothy, 71, were discovered at their home in Malthouse Lane, Hurstpierpoint, by their daughter on Boxing Day.

They had used a generator in the property after losing their power supply, the inquest in Horsham heard.

The coroner described their deaths as a "tragic accident".

Thousands of homes in the South East were without electricity over Christmas following storms on 24 December.

The hearing was told that former Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath FC manager, Mr Swallow, and his wife had been using a portable generator and a barbecue to cook indoors on Christmas Day with the windows closed.

They turned the generator off before going to bed but the house was full of toxic fumes, the inquest was told.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites