Teenage boy 'swept away' by sea in Newhaven

The BBC's Natalie Graham said earlier the conditions for the search were "extremely challenging"

Related Stories

A 14-year-old boy has been swept away by the sea in Sussex.

Sussex Police received a call at 16:15 GMT to say the boy, who had been swimming with a friend off West Beach in Newhaven, had been "swept away by the current".

The Newhaven Lifeboat team said at 21:45 GMT all search teams had been stood down for the night.

In a tweet, it said its thoughts "go to the boy's family and friends at this sad time".

The search is expected to resume on Monday morning.

The boy was last seen playing in the surf about 10m offshore, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency said.

Earlier, a spokeswoman had said weather conditions at the scene were very bad.

Family 'distraught'

"The weather conditions are just atrocious, with poor visibility making it extremely difficult," she said.

She explained that police were with the boy's family and they were "distraught".

A police spokesman said it was a "very distressing incident".

He added: "All agencies remind people of the dangers of being at seashores in adverse weather, especially in view of the approaching severe weather conditions overnight.

"The advice is straightforward - stay clear."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Sussex

Weather

Brighton

19 °C 14 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.