Brighton marathon runner collapses and dies
A 23-year-old man has died after suffering a suspected cardiac arrest during the Brighton marathon.
The runner, who is believed to be from London, was treated by paramedics and an off duty police officer after he collapsed in Grand Avenue in Hove.
Sussex Police said he was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton for emergency surgery but was pronounced dead later.
The force said the runner's next of kin had been informed.
Race director Tim Hutchings said: "It's tremendously sad. I can confirm that a competitor collapsed and later died in the Brighton marathon this morning.'Dreadfully sad news'
"We have rigorous emergency plans here in Brighton, much of the best practice we've taken from events as high calibre as the London marathon.
"The individual was treated at the scene by senior doctors, nurses and paramedics.
"He was then taken by ambulance to hospital but despite receiving an awful lot of attention he was later declared dead at the Royal Sussex County Hospital.
"Obviously this is dreadfully sad news for the entire Brighton marathon team and we pass our condolences on to all his family."
He added: "At the moment there is rather a sombre mood among the marathon team here. We're thinking most of all about the [runner's] family."
A spokesman for Sussex Police said: "Emergency services were called to Grand Avenue in Hove around 11:45 where it is believed the man suffered a cardiac arrest.
"He was treated at the scene by paramedics and an off duty police officer before being taken by ambulance to hospital where underwent surgery and died shortly after."
More than 9,000 participants took part in the Brighton marathon on Sunday which was started by England cricketer Matt Prior in Preston Park.
The annual race was first held in the city in 2010.