Sussex

Cigarettes 'may have caused' Copthorne fatal house fire

  • 10 April 2013
  • From the section Sussex
Police at scene
Image caption The two dead are thought to be mother and son

A house fire which killed a man and a woman in Copthorne is believed to have been started by cigarettes, the fire service said.

The body of an 83-year-old woman was found in The Lodge at Great Finches Farm, Snow Hill, by West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service early on Saturday.

On Sunday the body of a 52-year-old man, believed to be the woman's son, was also discovered in the house.

The blaze is being treated as accidental, the fire service added.

A spokesman said: "It is understood that this property didn't have any smoke alarms fitted."

The blaze was reported just after midnight on Saturday.

When fire crews arrived the ground and first floors, and the roof of the house were well alight.

The two people who died have not yet been named.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites