Engineer sentenced after Annette Coe carbon monoxide death

Annette Coe Annette Coe died in hospital after collapsing at her home

Related Stories

A heating engineer, found guilty of breaching health and safety rules after a Suffolk woman died from carbon monoxide poisoning, has been ordered to carry out 300 hours of unpaid work.

Annette Coe, 72, collapsed at her home in St Edmunds Road, Ipswich, in December 2012 and died in hospital.

But Peter Sykes, 68, was cleared of manslaughter by gross negligence on 9 July, at Norwich Crown Court.

Sykes, of Castle Road, Hadleigh, had carried out work for Mrs Coe.

'Deadly carbon monoxide'

Speaking after the hearing, Det Insp Trevor Prior said: "We conducted a meticulous investigation with the Health and Safety Executive following the tragic death of Mrs Coe.

"This established that her death was due to deadly carbon monoxide, which was allowed to build up in her home, as a direct result of Sykes' failure to maintain her heating system."

HSE principal inspector Vicky Fletcher said: "Mr Sykes showed a clear disregard for the law when he carried on servicing gas appliances despite not being registered since 2003.

"Working on gas appliances is difficult, specialised and potentially very dangerous.

"It is therefore vital that only registered gas engineers, who are trained and competent, work on gas appliances and fittings."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Suffolk

Weather

Ipswich

10 °C 9 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.