Michael Lee plans speedway return after being cleared of rape
- 21 May 2014
- From the section Suffolk
Ex-speedway champion Michael Lee says he hopes to become co-promoter again at Mildenhall Fen Tigers after being cleared of rape and sexual assault.
The 55-year-old, of Worlington, Suffolk, was cleared by a jury at Ipswich Crown Court last week.
Mr Lee, world champion in 1980, said he planned to talk to the British Speedway Promoters' Association in the next few weeks to try and get his licence back.
He said the case had been a "long battle".
Mr Lee, who remained a shareholder at the club during the trial, returned to the club on Sunday to witness the National League Knockout Cup meeting at home to Cradley.
He said the reception given to him by the supporters was "fantastic".
"Morally the support has meant a lot to me. It's just been a long battle and hopefully it's all come to an end now," he said.
"It's obviously been very difficult to get overly involved with so much on my plate and what this has done to me, but now I can relax a bit, start helping the boys again and hopefully help the team to some success."
Mr Lee rode for teams including King's Lynn, Poole and Boston.