Stoke-on-Trent bedroom fire caused by lightning strike

A lightning bolt started a fire in the home of a sleeping family in Stoke-on-Trent.

Lightning struck the television aerial and blew a hole in the roof, setting alight the room below and cutting the power supply, Staffordshire Fire Service said.

It happened at about 08:00 BST on Annette Road in Fenton. Firefighters have put out the blaze.

More storms are expected later, the Met Office has warned.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Stoke & Staffordshire

Weather

Stoke-on-Trent

Min. Night 0 °C

Features

  • Member of staff at The National Archives in KewFree information?

    The reaction when 13 departments were sent the same FOI request


  • Andy Murray in action in the Australian Open semi finalTeam tennis

    Why it pays for players like Murray to have an entourage


  • Dippy on display in the Hintze Hall. Photo by Nathalie DiazFarewell to Dippy

    Your stories of the most famous dinosaur in Kensington


  • Motorists make their way over Hannahstown Hill on January 29, 2015 in Belfast, In pictures

    Wintry images of UK's most widespread snow so far this year


  • Composite picture of David Cameron and Nick Clegg on separate official visitsMarginal choices?

    New funds for your town - but is visiting minister after your vote?


Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.