Stoke & Staffordshire

Discarded cigarette caused fatal fire in Milton bungalow

A bungalow fire which killed a 76-year-old woman in Staffordshire was caused by a discarded cigarette, firefighters have revealed.

Crews were called to Mauveen Bowyer's bungalow in Barratt Gardens, Milton, at about 11:00 BST on Friday.

She was rescued but died in University Hospital of North Staffordshire.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said an investigation had concluded a lit cigarette had fallen on a chair in the living room of the property.

Fire investigation officer Ian Read said it was the second fatal fire in Stoke-on-Trent caused by a cigarette since the start of the year.

He said: "This tragic accident serves to highlight the dangers of smoking, how quickly such blazes can spread and the devastating consequences they can reap."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites