Staffordshire PC's fire death caused by cooking

David Beech PC David Beech was a local response officer based in Newcastle-under-Lyme

A house fire in which a Staffordshire police officer died was started by cooking being left unattended on a hob, the fire service has said.

PC David Beech, 30, was found with the bodies of his two dogs on Wyreley Way in Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent on Sunday.

The fire service said the flames had not spread beyond the kitchen but there was "significant smoke damage throughout the property".

PC Beech had served with Staffordshire Police since November 2008.

Donna Broadhead, from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, described the fire as "tragic".

"Unfortunately, this type of incident is not uncommon for us with kitchen fires still making up the largest percentage of all accidental house blazes that we attend," she said.

"The majority of kitchen fires start when food is left unattended and it either overheats or fat residue on appliances left behind from previous use ignites."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Stoke & Staffordshire



9 °C 4 °C


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.