Inquiry into Taser arrest in Stoke-on-Trent after death

The police watchdog is investigating the arrest of a man who died three months after being shot with a Taser stun gun.

Martin Baskeyfield, 44, was admitted to hospital five days after the incident on 29 September and died on 14 January.

The Taser was used when Mr Baskeyfield was arrested on suspicion of motoring offences in Stoke-on-Trent.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission said it was investigating the circumstances of his arrest.

The commission said Staffordshire Police received a complaint on 9 October about the amount of force used in the arrest.

Charges withdrawn

A commission spokesman said: "The IPCC is independently investigating the arrest of Martin Baskeyfield, in Stoke-on-Trent.

"During the arrest in Cotterill Grove, he was Tasered and was later charged with offences and released on bail."

Mr Baskeyfield was admitted to University Hospital of North Staffordshire five days after the arrest and was treated there for three months.

The charges against him were withdrawn following his death.

The spokesman added: "The IPCC investigation continues into the full circumstances of the arrest.

"Sadly, Mr Baskeyfield passed away in hospital on January 14 this year.

"A Home Office post-mortem is being conducted to determine cause of death and the coroner has been informed."

Staffordshire Police said it was co-operating fully with the IPCC investigation.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Stoke & Staffordshire



Min. Night 16 °C


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.