Newcastle-under-Lyme £60m retail project agreed

A proposed £60m retail-led scheme, creating up to 700 jobs, has been agreed by two Staffordshire councils.

Councillors in Newcastle-under-Lyme gave the go-ahead for officers to complete the joint freehold acquisition of a former Sainsbury's site with the county council as soon as possible.

Property in Liverpool Road, Newcastle, became vacant after Sainsbury's moved to a new store off the A34 last autumn.

The borough council said talks with the firm and county council were ongoing.

The county council would meet 75% of the cost and the borough council would fund the remaining 25%, the authorities said.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Stoke & Staffordshire

Weather

Stoke-on-Trent

7 °C 6 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.