Sheffield fire deaths: Faulty charger likely cause

Scene of fire Three generations of one family died in the fire on Wake Road, Sheffield

Related Stories

A fire which killed five people was most likely caused by an "electrical fault involving a faulty charging device", investigators have said.

Two women and three children died in the blaze in Wake Road, Sheffield, on 28 April, including Shabbina Begum, 53.

Her daughter Anum Parwaiz Kayani, 20, Adyan Parwaiz Kayani, nine, Amaan Parwaiz Kayani, seven, and nine-week-old Minahil Parwaiz Kayani also died.

On Friday, more than 2,000 people attended their funeral.

A South Yorkshire Police representative said: "Following a joint investigation, South Yorkshire Police and South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue have found that the most probable cause of the fatal house fire in Wake Road, Nether Edge, Sheffield, was an electrical fault involving a faulty charging device.

"However, the investigation continues on behalf of the coroner, and a full inquest into the deaths of the three children and two women will take place at a future date."

Post-mortem examinations found that all five died from the effects of smoke inhalation.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Sheffield & South Yorkshire

Weather

Sheffield

Min. Night 14 °C

Features

  • Children in Africa graphicBaby steps

    Why are more children in Africa living beyond five?


  • Olive oil and olivesFood myth

    Did 1950s Britain get its olive oil from a pharmacy?


  • Rio Ferdinand and David Moyes'Playing to win'

    Memorable quotes from sporting autobiographies BBC Sport


  • Hand washing to contain Ebola in LiberiaEbola virus

    More action is needed to tackle Ebola, say experts


  • shadow of people kissing on grassOutdoor love

    Should the police intervene when people have sex in public?


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.