Shaun Stewart, guilty of son's manslaughter, surrenders to police

Shaun Stewart Shaun Stewart disappeared during his trial at Sheffield Crown Court

Related Stories

A man from Barnsley who went on the run before being found guilty of his son's manslaughter has handed himself in to South Yorkshire Police.

Brent Campbell, 29, died in March 2012 after touching live power cables during a raid on a pumping station with his father, Shaun Stewart, 53.

Stewart, from Lord Street, Barnsley, was found guilty in his absence earlier this month after he disappeared during his trial at Sheffield Crown Court.

He was sentenced to five years in jail.

Electrical flash burns

The court heard the pair had chopped down a wooden pole supporting live power lines, causing a short circuit that cut off electricity to 2,300 homes in the Barnsley area.

As Mr Campbell was gathering up the fallen wire, the power supply was automatically reconnected sending 11,000 volts through his body.

South Yorkshire Police said Stewart had fled the scene after his son's electrocution but was arrested after going to hospital for treatment for electrical flash burns.

Stewart disappeared from court during his subsequent trial and police issued a warrant for his arrest.

He gave himself up after a public appeal to find him, said South Yorkshire Police.

More on This Story

Related Stories

From other news sites

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Sheffield & South Yorkshire



Min. Night 5 °C


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.