Cigarette 'caused fatal house fire' in Armthorpe

Related Stories

A house fire which led to an elderly woman's death was a "tragic accident" caused by a cigarette, South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service has said.

The unnamed victim was found by fire crews at the house in Milton Grove, Armthorpe in Doncaster on Tuesday afternoon. She died later in hospital.

Investigating officer Mick Mason said "all indications point to careless handling of cigarettes".

He said the house had smoke alarms, but the woman had not had time to escape.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Sheffield & South Yorkshire

Weather

Sheffield

18 °C 13 °C

Features

  • A painting of the White House on fire by Tom FreemanFinders keepers

    The odd objects looted by the British from Washington in 1814


  • Chris and Regina Catrambone with their daughter Maria LuisaSOS

    The millionaires who rescue people at sea


  • Plane7 days quiz

    What unusual offence got a Frenchman thrown off a plane?


  • Children testing a bridge at a model-making summer school in Crawley, West SussexTiny shipyard Watch

    The art of making boats out of coffee stirrers


  • Krouwa Erick, the doctor in Sipilou town at the border of Ivory Coast and Guinea - 27 August 2014Bad trip

    The Ebola journey no-one in Ivory Coast wants to take


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.