Sheffield & South Yorkshire

Stocksbridge campaigners deny occupation attempt

Stocksbridge Leisure Centre
Image caption Sheffield City Council intends to stop funding the leisure centre as part of a £50m cuts programme

A group fighting the closure of a leisure centre has said it was not responsible for an attempt to occupy the building on Friday.

Stocksbridge Leisure Centre closed at 22:00 BST as part of Sheffield City Council's £50m cuts programme.

Police and security guards managed to prevent a small group of protestors from remaining in the building.

Campaign group 4SLC failed to get an injunction to prevent the closure going-ahead last month.

Faye Howard, from 4SLC, said: "We have no idea who was responsible. It is nothing that the 4SLC committee have organised. The depth of feeling though is quite strong in Stocksbridge."

A judicial review of the council's decision to stop funding the mothballed centre is to be held in June.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites