Fire crews save trapped woman and 10 Chihuahuas
- 24 April 2013
- From the section Sheffield & South Yorkshire
A 26-year-old woman and her 10 Chihuahuas have been saved by firefighters after they were trapped in a burning house near Doncaster.
The woman was rescued from an upstairs window before fire crews searched the building to find the animals.
A spokesperson for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said it was "like a conveyer belt of dogs coming out".
An 11th dog died in the fire in Milton Grove, Armthorpe, on Tuesday. An investigation is under way.
A crew of 10 firefighters tackled the blaze and helped rescue the dogs.
The woman called 999 after she heard barking and discovered her bedroom was filling with smoke.
Watch manager Daz Johnson said she had been trapped upstairs by the fire, which is believed to have started in the kitchen.
He said: "She was shouting that her dogs were trapped inside and from that point on it was almost like a conveyer belt of dogs coming out as the firefighters inside located them one by one.
"Some of the animals were unconscious but we worked with the paramedics and neighbours to revive them with oxygen."
The woman was taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary for treatment.
A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said neighbours had stepped in to look after the dogs.