Sheffield landlord fined £17,000 over boiler gas safety

A landlord has been fined £17,000 after admitting endangering the lives of a family in one of her properties.

Sima Yaqub, of Crescent Road, Sheffield, pleaded guilty at Sheffield Magistrates Court to five offences under the Gas Safety Regulations 1998.

When the family moved into the property in City Road last July, Yaqub did not have a Landlord's Gas Safety Record for the boiler.

Yaqub was also ordered to pay costs of £6,916.

After the original boiler in the home had broken down several times, Yaqub replaced it with a used one installed by unregistered fitter, magistrates heard.

The replacement was deemed as "immediately dangerous" when seen by a qualified engineer.

The Health and Safety Executive said landlords had "clear duties" to ensure the safety of their tenants.

HSE Inspector Denise Fotheringham said Yaqub had "shown a wilful and consistent disregard for the welfare and safety of the tenant and her family".

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Sheffield & South Yorkshire

Weather

Sheffield

15 °C 10 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.