Stobart 'disappointed' as drivers reject new offer

Striking lorry drivers in Doncaster Lorry drivers held a 48-hour strike in October

Related Stories

Haulage firm Eddie Stobart has said it is "disappointed" that drivers at a distribution centre in Doncaster have rejected a new offer over job cuts.

Drivers, angry at planned changes to operations at the site, held a 48-hour strike earlier this month.

The Unite union said the decision to reject the latest offer meant further strikes were likely.

Stobart said drivers had "lost out" by rejecting its offer, which included a 28% increase in redundancy pay.

'Not fair'

Stobart took over the operation from Tesco in August and announced a reorganisation in September.

Unite claims a total of 183 lorry drivers' jobs at the Doncaster centre are threatened by the plans.

Fresh talks were held on Friday to try to solve the dispute.

David Pickering, Eddie Stobart managing director, said: "Our enhanced financial package was worth an additional £1m and we feel the drivers have really lost out with the latest decision from Unite."

He added the firm had offered to increase redundancy pay by 28% and had offered significant financial support for drivers who took alternative jobs with either Tesco or Stobart.

Unite said members did not believe the offer was a fair one.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

Weather

Sheffield

18 °C 14 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.