Thorntons family home marked with blue plaque
- 17 September 2011
- From the section Sheffield & South Yorkshire
A blue plaque has been unveiled in Sheffield to mark the family home of the chocolate makers, Thorntons.
The plaque was installed where the Thorntons' lived at 64 Fitzwalter Road, Norfolk Park.
The chocolate makers first opened a shop in the city in 1911, and later opened factories there.
The former chairman of the company, Peter Thornton, and the Lord Mayor of Sheffield, Dr Sylvia Dunkley, stood before a crowd to mark the centenary.
Joseph William Thornton first opened a shop on Norfolk Street in October 100 years ago and later opened productions sites on Penistone Road and Stalker Lees Road in Sheffield before relocating to Derbyshire in 1948.