Man accused of Melanie Road murder denies charges
- 22 December 2015
- From the section Somerset
A man has denied murdering a teenager who was stabbed to death more than 30 years ago.
Student Melanie Road was 17 when she was attacked as she made her way home from a night out in Bath in June 1984. Her body was found in front of garages.
Christopher Hampton, 63, of Staple Hill, Bristol, appeared before the city's crown court earlier on Tuesday.
Mr Hampton was remanded in custody and told he will face trial on 9 May next year.
The father-of-three, who is being held at HMP Bristol, spoke only to deny the single charge of murder.
Prosecuting, Kate Brunner QC told the court the trial was expected to last up to four weeks.
Melanie had been out with her boyfriend and friends to the Beau Nash, a nightclub in Kingston Parade.
She left the club at 01:30 BST on June 9 and was last seen alive by her friends a short time later in Broad Street.
Last year, Melanie's mother Jean and sister Karen spoke about the impact the murder has had on them.
Mrs Road wrote an open letter to coincide with the 30th anniversary of her daughter's death, appealing for anyone with information to come forward.