Children's centre cuts in Bath and North East Somerset to be reconsidered
- 26 November 2013
- From the section Somerset
Plans to cut funding for children's centres in Bath and North East Somerset will have to be reconsidered by the ruling Liberal Democrats.
The authority wants to cut £2.3m over two years - 38% of that budget - but opposition politicians disagree and called the decision in.
This means the council's cabinet will now have to reconsider the plan.
Conservative councillors said the cabinet had not acted on concerns from the children and youth panel.
They are also calling for greater clarity over the future of children's centres and early years support for parents in the area.
At a meeting on Monday three Conservatives and one Labour member voted to uphold the challenge with three Liberal Democrats against.
Conservative group leader, Councillor Tim Warren, said by sending the decision back to cabinet it will allow the Lib Dems to show they are "listening to residents' concerns".
"[We hope they'll] clarify what services will be provided and give a commitment to look again at the scale of cuts currently proposed."
The council's cabinet had previously voted to cut spending on children's centres by £2.3m over two years.
But despite the cutbacks the local authority insisted no centres would close.