Weston Sand Sculpture Festival's Hollywood inspiration
- 27 March 2013
- From the section Somerset
Award winning sand sculptors put the finishing touches to this year's Hollywood-themed Weston Sand Sculpture Festival.
Hollywood is the theme for this year's Weston Sand Sculpture Festival. The event is due to open on Good Friday, 29 March, and will run until the end of September.
The sculptures take inspiration from films such as Harry Potter, Batman, Star Wars and Toy Story.
A total of 20 award-winning sculptors will take part in the festival using several tonnes of sand. The sand at Weston is considered to be the best of its kind as the grains have got sharp edges which make it perfect for adding in finer details.
The King Kong sculpture has been made out of 30 tonnes of sand over a period of nine days.
The festival is now in its seventh year and has covered a number of themes including Fairy Tales and Under the Ocean.
- Weston's sand sculptures bulldozed after exhibition finishes
- Weston sand sculptor wins silver medal in European contest
- Weston vandalised sand sculptures repaired
- Weston Sand Sculpture Festival's Queen vandalised
- In pictures: Sand statues damaged
- Weston Sand Sculpture Festival welcomes 25,000th visitor