Weston-super-Mare Tropicana demolition halted
- 21 September 2012
- From the section Somerset
Demolition of the Tropicana site in Weston-super-Mare has been halted until the end of November after an injunction was served on the council.
Campaigners to keep it have asked the High Court for a judicial review of the decision to knock it down.
North Somerset Council had been given approval by the secretary of state for communities and local government to demolish the 1930s building.
The council said a judge would consider the review application on 29 November.
Derek Mead, chairman of the Trop (WsM) which wants to redevelop the seafront pool and applied for the review, said previously: "We believe it is essential that the decision and the way it was taken are fully reviewed by the courts."
A spokeswoman for the Trop (WsM) said on Friday that they were waiting for a hearing to put their case to the court.
Councillor Tony Lake, executive member for finance and asset management at the council, said: "We don't believe there are reasonable grounds to challenge the secretary of state's decision, but clearly Trop (WsM) have a right to do that."
Mr Lake said the advice the council had was that the Trop (WsM) plans were not viable.
"It would require considerable ongoing taxpayers' money to keep it running," he said.
"For 12 years now there have been schemes coming forward which involve demolishing the Tropicana so naturally it hasn't been kept in a state where you could simply reopen it as a pool."
The building has stood derelict for more than a decade.
The land was due to be cleared and returned to beach with a new sea wall.