Gas fitter Andrew Hartley jailed over Zoe Anderson's death

Zoe Anderson, daughter of Chris Anderson Zoe Anderson died at her father's house in Bath

Related Stories

A gas fitter has been jailed for three years for the manslaughter of a woman who died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Andrew Hartley, of Radstock, Somerset, was convicted last month of manslaughter by gross negligence over the death of 24-year-old Zoe Anderson.

She was found dead by her boyfriend in the shower room at her father's home in Lansdown, Bath, on 29 December 2010.

Hartley, 36, had botched the installation of a boiler two weeks earlier, Bristol Crown Court was told.

His trial heard that he failed to secure a flue pipe properly.

'Rushed job'

Sentencing him, Judge Neil Ford said Hartley was a respected man, a good and loving father, whose sense of guilt was overwhelming.

He said there were "absolutely no malicious or hostile intentions in this case" but the loss to Miss Anderson's family was "profound".

Start Quote

This is simply the price that you must pay for an isolated but serious criminal offence”

End Quote Judge Neil Ford

"Zoe was a young and talented woman with a fruitful life ahead of her," the judge told Hartley.

"The quality of work fell below your normal high standards.

"You knew the potential dangers of a carbon monoxide leak and leaving the flue unconnected created a clearly foreseeable risk to life and, as the jury found, amounted to criminal negligence.

"There is no prospect at all of you committing further offences, this is simply the price that you must pay for an isolated but serious criminal offence."

Speaking outside the court, Det Insp Neil Beament said: "It's a tragic case, there are no winners. The Andersons have obviously lost their daughter and Andrew Hartley has lost his liberty."

Miss Anderson was the daughter of Chris Anderson, the founder of Bath-based Future Publishing.

She had been staying at her father's house in Sion Hill, one of Bath's most exclusive streets.

Andrew Hartley Hartley was convicted of manslaughter by gross negligence by majority verdict

At first, it was believed the neuroscience graduate had slipped and banged her head, but it was later found she died from carbon-monoxide poisoning.

During the case, the prosecution said Hartley did a "rushed" and "botched" job, failing to secure the flue pipe properly.

Miss Anderson died within 30 minutes of being exposed to the carbon monoxide.

The fumes leaked from the flue pipe connected to the boiler, which was fitted in the garage of the townhouse.

Hartley had admitted a charge of breaching gas safety regulations under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

The jury at Bristol Crown Court had found Hartley guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence by a majority of 10 to two.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Somerset

Weather

Taunton

Min. Night 8 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.