Avon and Somerset Police crackdown leads to 180 arrests
- 7 March 2012
- From the section Somerset
Some 180 people have been arrested in a police campaign targeting people wanted for drug, burglary, assault and theft offences.
About 900 officers from the Avon and Somerset force took part in Wednesday's operation which started at 04:00 GMT.
A force spokesman said two cars, a motorbike and two Rolex watches were among the items seized in the raids.
Patrols were stepped up in several areas and ANPR cameras used to detect motoring offences.
A total of 69 search warrants were executed throughout the day.
Officers also identified more than 150 parked vehicles that had been left unsecured and their owners have been "given advice".
Assistant Chief Constable Anthony Bangham said the operation sent out a "strong message" that crime does not pay in Avon and Somerset.
"In what has been the force's largest operation, not only have we been involved in robust enforcement action but there has been public reassurance work by police community support officers, providing guidance and advice."
Operation Relentless was first started seven years ago by Avon and Somerset police.
Since then there have been more than 30 operations, resulting in the arrest of more than 2,100 suspects.