Wards at Telford's Princess Royal Hospital evacuated due to fire

The toaster Patients returned to their beds about an hour after fire crews were called

Two wards of Telford's Princess Royal Hospital were evacuated due to a toaster fire in a staff area.

Up to 20 patients were moved from beds on wards six and seven on the first floor, as smoke filled the corridor and kitchen.

Staff covered the toaster with a fire blanket and closed doors before firefighters arrived.

Patients returned to their beds about an hour after fire crews were called at about 07:30 BST on Sunday.

The corridor logged with smoke at Telford's Princess Royal Hospital The toaster was in a staff kitchen on the ward

Craig Jackson, red watch commander at Wellington Fire Station, who attended, said: "The corridor and kitchen were heavily smoke-logged so I sent in two firefighters in breathing apparatus, with a dry powder fire extinguisher to investigate.

"The staff had followed all procedures and ensured a quick safe evacuation of the two wards.

"The patients had been moved to other wards and corridors as they were in beds.

"The toaster was in a small staff kitchen on the ward."

Adrian Osborne, from the hospital trust, said: "Thank you to the staff who acted quickly...and to Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service personnel who attended the scene.

"Thanks also to patients and staff who were temporarily moved to other parts of the hospital before both wards were fully operational again."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Shropshire

Weather

Shrewsbury

21 °C 15 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.