Shropshire parents meet on school closure plans
- 11 February 2011
- From the section Shropshire
About 300 parents and pupils attended a meeting to discuss plans to try to save a Shropshire school from closure.
Former pupils and governors were also at Thursday's event at the Wakeman School, Shrewsbury.
Headteacher Karen Moore said parents had used the meeting to voice their concerns about Shropshire Council's plans to close the school.
The Wakeman is the only secondary school in Shropshire affected by cuts proposals announced on Tuesday.
With 406 pupils, it is also by far the largest school on the closure list.
Eight primary schools are earmarked for closure and 20 others could be federated to cut costs.
Shropshire Council said earlier this week there was a "need for change".
Mrs Moore said: "The meeting was an information meeting for parents but also they could voice their concerns about proposals for the school.
"We thought about what action we could take to get our point across that this shouldn't happen.
"People are very unhappy about the proposal and we are determined to fight it."
She added people had already started writing letters and setting up petitions to raise awareness and support for the campaign.