Carer saves woman from burning Didcot flat

A "brave" carer has been praised for entering a burning flat to rescue the elderly woman she cares for.

She managed to help the woman to safety after a discarded cigarette ignited materials in a wooden wicker basket at the flat in Fairacres Road, Didcot.

The rescued woman was given oxygen while her carer was checked over before paramedics arrived on Saturday.

Oxfordshire fire service station manager Marcus Reay said the carer's action reduced injuries to the woman.

He added: "Cigarettes that fall on to sofas or cushions can easily result in far larger fires with tragic consequences.

"Although the fire and rescue service do not advocate entering a building that is on fire, it was a very brave thing to do and highlights what a special carer she is."

More on This Story

From other news sites

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Oxford



Min. Night 17 °C


  • NS Savannah, 1962Nuclear dream

    The ship that totally failed to change the world

  • Espresso cup7 days quiz

    Which city serves the strongest cup of coffee?

  • Glasgow 2014 quaichs and medalsQuaich guide

    What do the Scottish gifts given to Games medallists symbolise?

  • Malaysian plane wreckage in UkraineFlight risk

    How odd is it for three planes to crash in eight days?

  • israel flagDos and don'ts

    Can you criticise Israel without being anti-Semitic?

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.