Police in Cherwell target 'social media parties'

Related Stories

"Social media house parties" are being targeted by police in Oxfordshire in a bid to tackle noise complaints and underage drinking.

Officers are warning unsupervised parties which are advertised online can get out of hand.

Police and council workers have served a number of noise abatement notices during patrols of Cherwell and west Oxfordshire.

Tenants have also been warned they may be in breach of tenancy agreements.

PC Deborah Clements, Cherwell anti-social behaviour officer, said: "These underage house parties, that are often unsupervised, tend to involve anti-social behaviour and can usually get of hand.

"We have seen some reoccurring problems, which have involved youngsters becoming disorderly after consuming large amounts of alcohol.

"We need to highlight the problems that arise when advertising such social gatherings via social media and leaving youngsters alone without a supervised adult being present."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Oxford



7 °C 5 °C


Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.