Six hurt in gas heater explosion in Witney tent

Six people were injured when a gas heater caught fire and exploded in a tent on a campsite in Oxfordshire.

Fire and rescue crews went to Hardwick Park Campsite, near Witney, after receiving a 999 call on Saturday night.

Four members of a family, who were in the tent when it happened, suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation.

Two staff members who heard the bang and went to help were also hurt. All six were taken to hospital, but their injuries were not life-threatening.

Dangerous practice

Simon Belcher, station manager, said the family, which included a mother, father, grandmother and three children, had been using the heater to warm up the tent and were woken up by the explosion.

He said: "Despite the cold weather we would never recommend gas heaters in tents.

"Apart from the obvious risk of fire, the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning is always present."

He said about 50 people each year died from carbon monoxide poisoning and a further 4,000 had to go to hospital.

The father and son were not thought to have been in the tent at the time of the explosion.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Oxford

Weather

Oxford

Min. Night 11 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.