Man dies after Horspath oil drum barbecue explosion
- 29 July 2012
- From the section Oxford
A man has died after an empty oil drum he tried to turn into a barbecue exploded at a house in Oxfordshire.
It is believed the 48-year-old was fatally injured, in Horspath, as an angle grinder he was using ignited fumes in the 40-gallon drum.
He was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, on Friday evening, but died from his injuries.
Detectives are investigating the circumstances surrounding the man's death, at about 1945 BST.
Thames Valley Police confirmed officers were called at about 1950 BST after reports of an explosion.
Det Con Rachel Jackson said officers were treating the man's death as unexplained.
"[However] we do not believe it to be suspicious," she said.
Oxford Coroner's Office has been informed of the man's death and a post-mortem examination of his body is expected in the next few days.