Nottingham

Stapleford evacuation after chemical spill

Emergency services in special suits
Image caption Two firefighters were taken to hospital and two members of the public were treated because of fumes

A chemical spill forced the evacuation of a school and a garage outlet in Nottinghamshire.

About 500 litres of hydrochloric acid were spilled shortly after 10:00 BST near the Autotechz garage on Pasture Road, Stapleford.

Nearly 50 people, mostly children, had to be evacuated from Jubilee House Christian School and nearby buildings.

Two firefighters were taken to hospital and two passersby were treated at the scene, but nobody was seriously hurt.

The county council emergency planning team said pupils from the school were either collected by parents or accommodated at a nearby academy.

Police closed the B6003 Pasture Road in both directions between the B6004 Hickings Lane junction and the Moorbridge Lane junction during the clean-up operation

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites