Nottingham derby cup tie defies street violence
- 9 August 2011
- From the section Nottingham
A derby cup tie between Norttingham Forest and Notts County has gone ahead despite concerns after disturbances in the city.
There had been fears the game - the first competitive match between the clubs for 17 years - would be cancelled.
But officers said they would not let a minority stop a major sporting event.
A crowd of about 30 people had attacked houses and cars in the St Ann's area on Monday night.
On Tuesday afternoon a number of shops in the city centre put boards over their windows and closed early.
Total UK said it had closed four petrol stations in Nottingham early after liaising with police. It said the safety and security of staff and customers was an absolute priority.
About 40 vehicles were damaged after trouble broke out at 23:30 BST on Monday and lasted about three hours.
A 16-year-old boy and a 20-year-old man have been arrested and police said they anticipated more to follow.
Police said they believed the violence was inspired by the riots in London.
Before the Carling Cup tie at Nottingham Forest's City Ground, Assistant Chief Constable Paul Broadbent said: "What happened in the city last night was carried out by a mindless minority who were intent on causing havoc in their own communities.
"I am absolutely determined that the actions of these thugs will not ruin things for thousands of football fans looking to visit the city to enjoy the first match between the two teams in nearly two decades.
"I would ask fans from both teams to work with the police in rising above the events of last night and display a united front against those few who displayed blatant criminality with absolutely no justification."