Nottingham cannabis factory fire warning

Fire damage caused by the overloaded socket Police said the fire could easily have killed someone

A fire which was caused by an overloaded electrical socket used by cannabis growing equipment could have killed, police have warned.

The blaze started in Vale Road, Colwick, Nottingham, in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Officers found equipment including high-intensity lighting and 15 cannabis plants at the property.

A 45-year-old man has been arrested in connection with growing cannabis and is being questioned by detectives.

Insp Al Pearson, from Nottinghamshire Police, said that the outcome could have been very different.

"Thankfully in this case, the fire was discovered and put out quickly," he said.

"Growing drugs in this way could cause a fatal fire and I would ask landlords in particular to be vigilant of any suspicious activity in their properties.

"We have also encountered many cases where people tap into the electricity mains in order to bypass power to grow drugs.

"This is extremely unsafe and is fraught with danger."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Nottingham

Weather

Nottingham

Min. Night 10 °C

Features

  • Two sphinxes guarding the entrance to the tombTomb mystery

    Secrets of ancient burial site keep Greeks guessing


  • The chequeBig gamble

    How does it feel to bet £900,000 on the Scottish referendum?


  • Tattooed person using tabletRogue ink

    People who lost their jobs because of their tattoos


  • Deepika PadukoneBeauty and a tweet

    Bollywood cleavage row shows India's 'crass' side


  • Relief sculpture of MithrasRoman puzzle

    How to put London's mysterious underground temple back together


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.