Northampton

Wellingborough Asian food factory fire caused by 'smouldering vat'

Fire at Trojan Centre, Wellingborough Image copyright Mark Brindle
Image caption The fire broke out at the Trojan Centre in Wellingborough during the early hours of 30 July

A fire that tore through a Northamptonshire Asian food factory started after a vat of food ignited, it is revealed.

Eighty firefighters tackled the blaze at BRG Enterprise at the Trojan Centre, Wellingborough, on 30 July.

The fire service said a vat of food did not cool but continued to heat up sparking a flame when mixed with vapours in the building.

The factory had been especially hot due to the weather, it added.

The blaze, which began at 05:00 BST, caused the roof of the building to collapse and took much of the day to put out.

People living around the Finedon Road Industrial Estate had to keep their windows and doors closed due to the smoke.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites