Parkside Nursing Home deaths: Police reopen investigation

The former Parkside House Nursing Home in Northampton Residents were removed from the care home after patient neglect was found

Related Stories

Police are to reopen an investigation into a Northampton care home where five patients died in two weeks in 2009.

A coroner ruled the Parkside House Nursing Home patients died of natural causes in July and August that year.

Detectives are to look at the case again after reviewing Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) findings.

Owner Phyllis Johnson, her deputy Maria McKenzie and nurses Mary Bisieri-Ombui, Anastacia Maduli and Girlie Franklin were struck off by the NMC for neglect.

The coroner concluded there was no evidence to suggest that neglect was a direct cause of death.

Patients removed

The five workers, who appeared before an NMC panel in December last year, faced a raft of allegations relating to 10 residents who were in their care between April and August 2009.

They were accused of failing to carry out basic care duties, including not checking bed sores, leaving patients stationary for hours at a time, failing to provide proper meals and poor record keeping.

The five residents, who were aged from 83 to 100, died between 22 July and 6 August 2009.

The home in St Matthew's Parade was closed and the remaining patients have been removed.

It had space for up to 20 residents aged 65 and over who suffered from dementia or long-standing mental illness.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Northampton



20 °C 15 °C


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.