Wellingborough industrial estate blaze 'accidental caused by sparks'
- 15 April 2014
- From the section Northampton
A blaze which engulfed a recycling plant in Northamptonshire was most likely caused by sparks from a hand-held grinder, the fire service said.
The fire at Environmental Storage Solutions on the Leyland Trading Estate, Wellingborough, started at about 08:30 BST on 4 April.
The fire gutted the building and took four days to completely extinguish.
An investigation concluded the cause was accidental and that the fire began while fridges were being dismantled.
At its height more than 60 firefighters from three counties battled the fire at the factory on Irthlingborough Road, which recycles refrigeration units.
A plume of black smoke billowing from the plant was described at the time as "hazardous", and residents living nearby were warned to keep doors and windows closed.
The flames were extinguished later that day but officers monitored "hot spots" for a number of days before the building was deemed safe to be handed back to its owners for demolition.
Mark Ainge, head of fire prevention and community protection at Northamptonshire Fire Service, said it was likely stray sparks from a grinder set fire to material while workers were removing rivets from fridges or freezers during the decommissioning process.