Silverstone British Grand Prix: Drainage work carried out
- 28 March 2013
- From the section Northampton
Organisers of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone have pledged to be better prepared for any heavy rain at this year's race after improving drainage.
Showers left half the car parks at the Northamptonshire circuit unusable at qualifying for last year's Formula 1 race. This year's race is on 30 June.
Silverstone Circuits Limited said it had "learned lessons".
The "significant" investment should ensure there was no repeat of last year's disruption, the company added.
Fans were turned away from qualifying with up to 30,000 ticket holders urged not to attend due to muddy conditions.
Work is taking place to add more drainage over 140 acres, covering 11 grassed car parks.
Ditches are being reshaped and mesh grass protector added over five acres of the circuit's Woodlands campsite.
Managing Director Richard Phillips said: "We are investing significant time and money to... ensure there is no repeat of the weather-related issues that affected some fans on the Friday of last year's event."