World Conker Championship cancelled for second year in row
- 24 September 2012
- From the section Northampton
The World Conker Championships in Northamptonshire have been cancelled for the second year in a row, organisers have said.
The annual competition at Ashton Conker Club was called off last year after bad weather blighted efforts to set up marquees in Polebrook near Oundle.
The event was due to go ahead on 14 October but organisers have been unable to find a suitable venue.
The championships have been running since 1965.
A statement on Ashton Conker Club's website said: "Sad to say that the 2012 World Conker Championships has been cancelled for lack of a suitable venue.
"All efforts were made to find a new home for the competition after the last-minute cancellation last year due to very windy weather.
"Players registered to play in 2012 will be contacted to ask if they wish to play in 2013. If you don't ask to play in 2013, your entry will lapse and your entry fee will be donated to charity.
"There is a venue provisionally arranged for the 2013 competition."
The event usually takes place on the second Sunday in October each year.
Competitors play on eight white podiums in the playing arena and go through rounds until the winner emerges and is led to the Conker Throne and crowned with conkers.